Tuesday, October 27, 2009

MDK

Ladies and Gentlemen, I have found out something amazing.

MDK runs on my computer.

That might not sound like much until you hear that Zdoom won't.
Then it sounds pretty amazing.

First thing's first; mess around with the keyboard controls. Arrow keys? Gone. Now runs with WASD controls. Also messing around with the controls for the sniper helm, jump, and a few other things... done.

Leap into the first level; didn't crash. Good sign. I have to remind myself that the level hasn't actually started yet, but I'm too busy being amazed to worry about it.

Jump into the start of the level, grab the health boost and set off to kill some evil robot things, or at least i would if the mouse didn't come up.

Like most PC FPS gamers, I'm used to handling the mouse. I basically grew up on Half-Life (the first one), so the whole WASD to move/space for jump, C for crouch/mouse to aim and fire has been drilled into my mind, and like Nazi propaganda you can't ever get that sort of thing out.

So the notion of playing MDK without the mouse at all was a bit disturbing, especially since I knew the mouse could be reconfigured for today's FPS gamers.

I was planning to do 'work' today (I dread the word; 'Work' is something you'd rather not be doing but have to anyway, and that's no way to live) but I just can't get my mind of it and how incredibly amazing it is.

Speaking of amazing, it's amazing how many people bicker/ed over the title.
MDK.
It could stand for a bunch of things. Shiny wasn't telling, the bastards, so everybody had to make up their own assumptions.

I, personally, choose to believe its
Mission: Deliver Kindness (which is the most hinted)
But there are many other names for it;

Murder Death Kill
Max, Doctor, Kurt (the three main characters)
Mother's Day Kisses (since the game was released on Mother's Day)
And many more...

I'll probably write some sort of review for MDK in the not so distant future. Don't be surprised if it's a little gushy - I loved that game since I was a child, and it's right up there with HOMAM3 as my favourite nostalgic game ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment