Saturday, November 14, 2009

COD: MW2 Multiplayer

A lot of criticism has been raised against Modern Warfare 2's multiplayer, making it out as terrible (on PC).

Now, I would check the multiplayer out, because I was honestly surprised by COD4's multiplayer being astoundingly good, and I figured MW2's would be similar.

BUT, the server list won't load (it's stuck on the 'finding playlists' thing) so I can't. I waited ten minutes and nothing changed, so I just left it alone.

Let us go through some of the criticisms for the MW2 multiplayer for PC.


1. NO DEDICATED SERVERS

This is actually a real bastard.
Essentially, from what I've gathered, Dedicated Servers are servers that a hosted on the host's computer. This gives the host full control of who gets kicked, banned, whatever, and since it's the hosts computer, he gets to decide the server rules.

Either that, or it's a server that is located within the company's data centers, which is specifically kitted out for dealing with a bunch of players playing on it simultaneously.

I could be wrong about both, but I'm pretty sure I'm not.
Anyway, not having Dedicated Servers means it forces people that want to host a game have to host it on their own server, and since the host probably won't have much in the way of anti-cheater software as a Dedicated Server would, there's going to be a lot of wallhacks and aimbots.

At least, that's what everyone is saying.

2. SMALL TEAMS

The maximum players you can have in MW2 is a 9v9 fight. Some people say this is too little.
Most of these people are stupid.

For one, 9v9 is a pretty good size for a fight. For two, most of these people that say it's too small a fight are people migrating from things like Halo and the Battlefield series, which are used to huge fights with over fifty players, where most maps stretch on for ages.

Maps in COD4 wern't all that big, so they where made for a smaller group of players. I imagine the ones in MW2 are roughly the same size.

Unless, of course, consoles get a bigger team size, in which case Infinity Ward has truly left us PC gamers in the lurch.


...I think that's it. There's only two real problems with MW2 I've seen so far.
Frankly, the single player is amazing, and if you aren't interested in multiplayer there's no real problems with the gameplay or experiance.

No comments:

Post a Comment