Friday, September 11, 2009

Black Holes and Revelations

Just been listening to the latest Muse album. And I have to say, it's really good. As is the style with muse, they focus on the sound and music more than the lyrics, which is a refreshing change from todays music. Although, a few songs surprised me a bit.

- Take a bow: Yeah, this was the biggest surprise. The lyrics are... interesting. I wouldn't reccomend it if you have low self esteem.

- Starlight: Starts off well, then has that crhistmas-y sounding music which put me off a bit. It's the most 'today music' sounding track on the album. Personnaly, I would be very surprised if this isn't in New Moon (Twilight movie).

- Supermassive Black Hole: I'm sure we all heard this one when Twilight came out. Still, if you haven't, it's a pretty good track. Good beat, interesting lyrics and a strange music video.

- Map of the Problematique: Arguably the best song on the album. Great beat and starts off brilliantly.

- Soldier's Poem: Another surprising track. Very unlike Muse to have a song with a lot of lyrics. It's still an interesting song, one that I imagine several people can relate too.

- Invincible: Saying this song is a bit slow is kind of an understatment. Once I realized what it was, I flipped to the next track.

- Assassin: Ah, here we go. Starts off well, very well in fact, and the lyrics are good too. The corus is a bit odd, but it's not like 'Odd' is a stranger to Muse music.

- Eco-Politics: Arguably the best song on the album, starting off with a great beat. I'm seeing a pattern in Muse's lyrics, and I'm not sure if it's just this album or not, but many of their lyrics seem to say, essentially and extremely boild down, "Screw the government". Now, that might sound a bit hysterical, but I think I might
be onto something here.

- City of Delusion: Starts off slowly, which initally turned me off the song, but I forced myself to listen to the whole thing. Once you get about one minute into the song, Muse lets you hear the actual song. It hits you like a sledgehammer, leaving you emotionally and physically drained.

- Hoodoo: Another one I was dubious about at first. It starts off really slowly, and it feels like it shoudln't actually be on this album at all. Then you get halfway through the song, it finally gets off it's @$$ and gives you something to listen too. This hits you like a sledgehammer, but unlike the last song you aren't expecting it, and instead of a regular sledgehammer it's a sledgehammer on fire.

- Knights of Cydonia: My all time favourite Muse song. It's just... Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment