Sunday, May 16, 2010

Starcraft II Beta, part 8

I made a shocking discovery today - Protoss players actually have two other strategies!

Protoss Strategy #1: Void Rays
Protoss Strategy #2: Stalkers
Protoss Strategy #3: Both of the above

It's a little sad that no other strategy exists for Protoss players other than the ones listed above. Blizzard might as well have not bothered making any other Protoss unit apart from the ones I mentioned and saved themselves some time.

No, seriously. Protoss players are that predictable. If your fighting against a Protoss player, air superiority is vital. Also, it helps to have a strong anti-ground force for the guys that use Strategy #3.

If your Terran, build a lot of Vikings and Banshees. Zerg, build a lot of Corruptors and upgrade some of those Corruptors into Brood Lords. Protoss? Void Rays. Carriers if your feeling lucky. And Phoenix's aren't a bad idea either.

I don't really know where to go from this point. I've played a lot of multiplayer, and there doesn't seem to be much else until Blizzard roll out the AI patch so I can critique the difficulties in order of "Babies first RTS" to "How did he rush me with Battlecruisers in the first two minutes?", which should be a fun little exercise.

Actually, there are two things I can still do. First, give an overall review of each race, primarily talking about what's changed (for better and worse). And I can get into the Galaxy Editor, so I'll see if I can make something. I've been thinking of this enormous mod already, making a few delicate changes to the game (such as taking out the entire $#%&ing Protoss race).

Oh yeah, the obscenity filter doesn't filter "god", but (I may have mentioned this before, but it still bewilders me) it filters "damn". That just doesn't make any sense - it's possibly one of the tamest "swear words" in the English language without making one up, unless you wanted to go full on silly and say things like "Blast! The little blighters have infested my base!" or, god forbid "Oh fiddlesticks! Well, good game and all that, old chum."

No comments:

Post a Comment