Sunday, May 2, 2010

Starcraft II Beta, part 3

There's a reason I never play multiplayer.

In campaigns, the AI is reasonably easy to predict. You go defensive, start stockpiling resources, and build up your offensive force while the enemy concentrates on throwing money into your defensive line.

That doesn't - and never will - work in multiplayer.

The four matches I've played online I've won none of them. I try - I expand to nearby mineral fields and start tearing those up as fast as possible. The last one I even got so far as to build a bunch of Thors but the bastard on the other end got to the Battlecruisers first. And no matter how optimistic you are, air will triumph over ground.

And the gas issue is still pissing me off. I remember once having 4000+ minerals and only 300 gas. It's outrageous, considering all of the late unit games - the game winning units - need a lot of gas, it's weird that you get so little of it.
I research a lot, yes, but 4 gas a hit is still not a lot, especially when the max number of workers you can reasonably have without the problem of an SCV sitting there with nothing to do is 2, whereas there's 10 mineral fields per base location. And with 10 workers hammering away at them (1 worker per field) and returning 5 minerals every 5 seconds, you can get a lot of minerals very fast, especially if you have two bases.

Moving away from that for a second, I've fallen in love with the soundtrack. The Terran is by far my favourite, which has gone down the 'space cowboy' path which, in my mind, is the best direction for it.
The Firefly feeling the music brings across paints a very different picture than the original Starcraft did. Listening to it again, the original Starcraft Terran music was more 'space', while the Starcraft 2 is more 'space western'.

I would complain about how I died all four times during my multiplayer experience and how this particular feature was the cause but in reality it's my strategy. It's been so long since I've played an RTS I've lost my touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment